Friday, September 27, 2013

40k Battle Report: Eldar/Grey Knights Vs. Tyrant Swarm Tyranids



Deployment: Hammer and Anvil
Mission: The Scouring

My List (Eldar/Grey Knights):

HQ
Farseer (Warlord. Prescience, Fortune, Terrify)
  • Jetbike
  • Singing Spear
The Avatar of Khaine
  • Fast Shot
Inquisitor Coteaz

Elites
7x Harlequins
  • 7x Harlequins Kisses
  • Troupe Master
  • Shadow Seer (Veil of Tears)
Troops
3x Guardians Jetbikes
  • Shuriken Cannon
3x Guardians Jetbikes
  • Shuriken Cannon
3x Guardians Jetbikes
  • Shuriken Cannon
2x Jokearo, 3x Servitors, 5x Warrior Acolytes
  • 3x Plasma Cannons
  • 5x Bolters
5x Warrior Acolytes
  • 5x Bolters
Fast Attack
Stormraven
  • Twin-Linked Lascannons
  • Twin-Linked Multimelta
  • 4x Mind Strike Missiles
Heavy Support
Wraithlord
  • 2x Flamers
  • Ghost Glaive
  • Scatter Laser
  • Bright Lance
Wraithlord
  • 2x Flamers
  • Ghost Glaive
  • Scatter Laser
  • Bright Lance
2x War Walkers
  • 4x Scatter Lasers
Dreadknight
  • Heavy Incinerator 
  • Personal Teleporter
Fortification
Aegis Defense Line
  • Twin-Linked Quad Gun

Opponents List (Tyranids):

HQ
Swarm Lord (Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Warp Speed, Endurance)
Hive Tyrant (Life Leach, Warp Speed, Endurance, Enfeeble)
  • Twin-Linked Devourers
  • Hive Commander
  • Old Adversary
  • Armored Shell
Hive Tyrant (Unknown)
  • Wings
  • Twin-Linked Devourers
  • Old Adversary
Hive Tyrant (Unknown)
  • Wings 
  • Twin-Linked Devourers
  • Old Adversary
3x Tyrant Guard

Elites
Doom of Malan'tai
  • Mycetic Spore
Troops 
10x Termagants
10x Termagants
Tervigon (Iron Arm, Life Leach)
  • Adrenal Glands
  • Toxin Sacs
  • Regeneration
  • Cluster Spines
  • Psyker Power +1
Tervigon (Endurance, Life Leach)
  • Adrenal Glands
  • Toxin Sacs
  • Regeneration
  • Cluster Spines
  • Psyker Power +1

I won the rolls for deployment and to go first. Night fight was on. Objectives are marked on the picture below.



Deployment: I chose to set up my aegis and Coteaz's Acolyte unit at the edge of my deployment zone in a spot where I thought I'd have good firing lanes on anything advancing forward. Farseer, Harlequins, and the Avatar were placed in the center behind the aegis. The Dreadknight deployed behind a piece of line of sight blocking terrain. I put all of my bikes along the back of my board edge. I didn't want to have to roll for reserves for them and didn't want them to get shot up. I had also planed to use them as an outflank blocker incase he had anything that could come on near my deployment zone. I was outflanking the War Walkers and kept the 5 Warrior Acolytes in the Stormraven.


My opponent deployed 1 Tervigon in the back near the 3 point objective while the Swarm Lord with 1 Tyrant Guard, the foot Tyrant with 2 Tyrant Guard, and 2 units of Termagants deployed in the center behind the number 2 objective. He was outflanking with the other Tervigon and deep striking the Flyrants and the Doom.



Turn 1: Fortune, Prescience, and Veil of Tears go off on the Harlequins. Perfect Timing and Prescience go off on the Acolytes and Coteaz. I cast Terrify on a unit of Termagants next to the foot Tyrant. Jetbikes move forward along the edges of the board. Farseer, Harlequins, the Avatar, and the Dreadknight move up into the mid field hoping to draw out the Swarm Lord. Shooting would see the unit of Termagants on my left wiped out, the Swarm Lord down one wound, and the Swarm Lord's Tyrant Guard dead. The unit of Termagants that were terrified were brought down to only 3 models, failed their leadership test, and fled.



The 3 fleeing Termagants auto rally thanks to Synapse. A multitude of powers go off on his units including Iron Arm and Endurance on the Swarm Lord. He casts Enfeeble on the Dreadknight. The Tervigon in the back spawns 13-14 Termagants and rolls doubles. There will be no more spawning for her. All of his units except for the Tervigon move forward. Shooting puts a wound on the Dreadknight and the Swarm Lord runs a few inches forward into the forest. He rolls for It Will Not Die on the Swarm Lord and regains the wound he lost.



Turn 2: I roll for reserves and the War Walkers make it in while the Stormraven with Acolytes stays out. Prescience and Perfect timing go off on Coteaz and his Acolytes. Even though Shadows in the Warp is affecting my Farseer and Shadow Seer, Fortune, Prescience, and Veil of Tears are all cast successfully as well as Horrify on the Swarm Lord. Bikes move up to assist with the Termagants. War Walkers position themselves so they can either help with the Swarm Lord or Termagants if necessary. Shooting would see the large unit of Termagants wiped out and 2 wounds on the Swarm Lord. At this point I knew my only chance to kill The Swarm Lord was to assault him with everything I had in range, otherwise he would just assault one of my units on his turn. So thats exactly what I did. The Harlequins, Farseer, The Avatar, and he Dreadknight all assaulted him. Hammer of wraths cause no wounds. He immediately challenged which I knew he would do. I declined the challenge with my Farseer. Since he had Iron Arm up he was at toughness 9. So I was going to need rends and smashes to take him down. The Swarm Lord and Harlequins both swung at the same time. He would cause 3 wounds which I took on the Harlequins. Loosing 2. The Harlies did 1 wound in return with rends. The Avatar would do 1 as well. It finally came down to the Dreadknight who caused 2 wounds dropping the Swarm Lord. Hooray!!! My opponent told me it was the first time he had lost the Swarm Lord since he's been playing at our FLGS. Afterwards I consolidate each unit a few inches.



He rolls his reserves and everything comes in. 2x Flyrants deep strike in front of the aegis. The Doom and his pod come in behind the aegis. The Tervigon outflanks mid board near my walkers and bikes. Sadly for him Coteaz was expecting this and as per his special rule his unit got an immediate free round of shooting at everything that came in from reserves within 12" of him. That gave me shots on one Flyrant, the Doom, and the Spore Pod. Coteaz's units shooting would see the spore pod destroyed, the Doom brought to 1 wound, and 1 wound on the Flyrant. Shots from the Tervigon would kill one War Walker and strip a hull point from the 2nd. My dice went super hot against the leadership rolls for the Doom of Malanti's Spirit Leach and both Wraithlords and Coteaz's unit managed to make their test on 3d6 and didn't loose a single wound. Shooting from the 2 Flyrants would reduce Coteaz's unit to him, an Acolyte, and a Jokearo, but they managed to pass their leadership and hold strong. The foot Tyrant took shots at the Dreadknight taking him out.



Turn 3: I fail my reserve roll for the Stormraven. Powers go turbo mode again and are all passed despite Shadows in the Warp. At this point I'm in awe of my dice rolling. One unit of bikes moves up to the objective on the center rock formation. While the unit in the back near the 4 point objective moves back trying to get away from the Flyrant. Everything that was within 6" of the Doom of Malanti moves away so as not to get Spirit Leached in my own shooting phase. Bikes would kill 2 Termagants hiding behind the rocks in the center. The Doom dies and the Flyrant in front of the aegis takes another wound. The Avatar takes 2 wound from the foot Tyrant. The Harlies multicharge 3 Termagants and the foot Tyrant and his guards. The Avatar charges into the foot Tyrant as well. He challenges and the Farseer declines. Termagants all die as well as the Tyrant Guard.



The active Tervigon spawns 10 Termagants and poops out rolling doubles. Both Flyrants attempt to vector strike my bikes off of objectives and fail killing one bike a piece. Shooting from the back Flyrant was poor and left one bike on the objective while the midfield Flyrant shot the rest of the bikes off the objective. Termagants assaulted the Wraithlord on the aegis loosing 3. The foot Tyrant fell to the Avatar.



Turn 4: My flyer finally comes in and unlike my other turns I fail the majority of my powers. I move the Stormraven on in and place it near a 2 point objective. Since we were playing The Scouring he could hold it. Jet bikes move to take the objective in rocks in the center and Coteaz's unit moves to take the 4 point objective near the dino skull. Shooting from the lonely jetbike in the rear knocked the Flyrant to the ground wounding it. The Stormraven would finish him off. The War Walker knocked the midfield Flyrant out of the sky doing 2 wounds and the jetbikes manage to finish him of with a couple of bladestorm rends. At that point my opponent conceded. Final score was 14-4.


That's 2 Tyranid players that have felt the wrath of the brightly colored Eldar in the past few weeks. I'm really looking forward to trying them in the upcoming Titan Tournament and the 2 headed giant league starting next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment