Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Eldar Codex Review: My Initial Thoughts

Welcome to the wonderful world of 6th edition Eldar everyone. I must say, when I first got my hands on the new codex and took a look, my initial reaction was a big WTF. A quick list of things that I thought were not cool at the time and some I still think aren't.

  1. No guaranteed Fortune. This was huge.
  2. Runes of Warding and Witnessing are terrible compared to what they used to be.
  3. Increased points on War Walkers, Guardians, Wraithlords, Fire Dragons, and others. 
  4. No more casting the same power for Eldrad. (My 5th edition list was based on 2x fortune for Harlequins and Wraithguard)
  5. No more 4+ invuln on the Avatar. 
  6. No ghost helms on Warlocks and Spiritseers. 
  7. Harlequins can fail their psychic test for Veil of Tears and has reverted to its old rules.
  8. Shuriken Catapults are still 12"
  9. Why the hell do Wraithlords still not have some kind of invuln save.
  10. Why do Banshees still suck balls? I mean no grenades...come on man.
SHENANIGANS!!! Thats right I called immediate shenanigans. Come on Phil Kelly what the hell's going on here. And those were just the things that caught my eye at a cursory glance. On the flip side, after I spent a little more time with the codex, I found there were some things that really stood out that I loved.

  1. Battle Focus. That's awesome.
  2. No more Wraith Sight. Hooray!
  3. Shuriken weapons have rending against everything other than vehicles.
  4. Monofilament weapons are the bee's knees.
  5. OMG Wave Serpents with Holofields and Scatterlasers give me a huge nerd boner.
  6. Scatterlasers and laser lock give twin-linked to your other weapons.
  7. Wraithknight...not much to say...this guy is rad
  8. Fire Prisms got even better with 3 modes of fire and holofields
  9. Guardian Jetbikes got a points reduction. Why? I don't know, but I love it.
  10. Farseers on bikes all the time. There is no reason a Farseer should be seen without one. It's only 15 points and it makes him so much better.
  11. Biker Councils that get Protect/Jinx are gonna be amazeballs.
  12. Many units are now BS4
So obviously I'm pretty split on this codex. Did the new additions outweigh the nerfs and changes? Time will tell the story. I for one can't play the same list I did in 5th. The changes to Eldrad and Fortune, both of which were relied on heavily for my footdar, have put an axe in that. More to come as I get deeper into the codex and into testing. Hopefully we can get a batrep up before too long.

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain about the wraithlords and banshees. I am scared of your shuriken weapons though. It is a bunch of crap! whined the nid player >_<

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment at ALL about the WS/BS 4 of the guardians? They made the "poets and artists" of a craft world equivalent of the constantly raiding Dark Eldar troops...give me a break. That is HUGE for Eldar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, and added to the list. Not sure how I forgot that one when I was writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technically, guardians are "poets and artists" who were formerly aspect warriors.

    ReplyDelete